Troll Bridge (1 points)

 

I’ve waited far too long to read Terry Pratchett. I’d meant to for a while, but there’s a lot of stuff I’ve been meaning to read, or watch, or play, or listen to. I guess I’d just been intimidated; I knew Pratchett’s Discworld series was legendary and big, so I just didn’t quite know where to start. I don’t know if Troll Bridge is part of that universe, but nonetheless it was a great taste of Pratchett’s work. In just seven pages, Pratchett was able to pack loads of charm and humor alongside a tinge of melancholy. The feeling of yearning for how things used to be is palpable in this story, and not just because it’s explicitly stated by the characters. It’s the way they talk about how things are that remind me of my own feelings of nostalgia for a time long gone. But really, it’s just how we perceive things, isn’t it? Cohen and Mica long for the world they went to war for, a feeling that real veterans express when they see the world today (both the left-leaning and right-leaning veterans). They’re disappointed with how the people and systems in charge have changed things for the worse. They were supposed to be heroes that changed the world, but now they’re just people clinging to dead ideas. The world’s moved on without them and they’re struggling with that, internally and externally.

 

There are little bits of dialogue that do so much worldbuilding, like, “You can’t sell Custshade Forest. It doesn’t belong to anyone.’ ‘Yeah. He says that’s why you can sell it.” That exchange does so much to relate Pratchett’s fantasy world to our own, which is a big part of why this short story resonated with me. It does such a clean job at incorporating real world elements in a fantasy world. The combination of fantasy names with real life occupations and names, combined with the naturalistic dialogue, make it feel so real. This juxtaposition also makes Troll Bridge really funny. That exchange I brought up is kind of depressing, but also hilarious to me. It’s that absurdity that makes this story work so well as a satire of the modern world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloodchild (2 Points)

Metropolis (2 Points)

Future Tense (2 Points)